Saturday, January 16, 2010

Starting Seeds


I have to admit that I have been procrastinating. I have had my eye on the stack of seed catalogs that have come in the mail but have not figured out what to order yet. I think I am afraid I won't actually get the garden started in time to plant. I am starting from scratch here, other then my water trough herb bed that the chickens wiped out I am looking at un-tilled ground that needs to be worked and fortified and a fence built to keep them out. Or, I could go with the building of raised beds of some kind but they will still need to be fenced in. I think I would like to do a combination of both but have none of needed materials purchased yet. I keep thinking that really I could just do it the old fashioned way and get out there with a shovel and rake and turn the soil up myself, it would be really good exercise and I would have the satisfaction of having done it, yeah yeah I could do that if I could just get motivated. I have seen so many great posts written by those of you who are already starting your seeds on warming mats and in window sills across the country and here I am living in Florida where I can start so much earlier and I have done nothing, hanging my head in shame here. Maybe I am making this public admission as a way of motivating myself to practice what I preach. I can't really hope to produce more of my own food if I don't actually plant some. So that being said Moose (my chocolate lab) and I are going to find the shovel. Even if I do 1-2 square feet three times a week I will have a decent plot ready by March-April when I want to start planting.

6 comments:

  1. That is the best and cheapest way is to just dig it by hand and do a little at a time. Eventually you will get the garden you want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get someone to Co-op with you. Have them till the
    garden and give them X-amount of space in return. That would be a much better idea if you ask me!!...debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will get there...starting is the hardest part.I need to get some seeds going too.February is my busy seed sowing month,after all the unbearable heat in December and January.All my vegie gardens are raised.
    Wishing you a 'Bumper Crop'
    Granny :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The hardest part is getting started. I think the raised beds would be a great start. I plan on getting outside today and start cleaning mine out.
    We used to have to put up some wire panels over the raised beds to keep the guineas and chickens out(and a few goats too)
    Also I plant a few things like squash and asparagus around the house with the flowers.
    Good luck with the garden and planting. I know you will enjoy it.
    Have a great day.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Laura. Thanks for stopping by our site. I'm loving yours...I am a gardener wanna be. I just don't have the time (I hear that complaint from you, too!). I, too, have a grown son here to help his newly-single mom manage our 11 acres. I am looking forward to getting to know you and seeing how your garden grows! C

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a very good attitude. Just do a little at a time! If your ever in the notion, Those itty bitty baby tillers Lowes sell for 199.00 ... worth their weight in gold if your soil isn't heavy clay. The ones that you don't mix the oil and gas...Its suppose to start on one pull and 99% of the time it does! ...

    I love my baby tiller :O)as I call it...

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy you stopped by, I love reading your thoughts and reactions. My new motto (stealing from my favorite Disney ride) when it comes to my blog friends is, "It's a small world afterall" Thanks for visiting!

To Blog or Not To Blog,,,

In January of last year I sat down and wrote a post from the RV I was living in at the time. I thought then that I really wanted to get bac...