Saturday, January 16, 2010

Starting Seeds


I have to admit that I have been procrastinating. I have had my eye on the stack of seed catalogs that have come in the mail but have not figured out what to order yet. I think I am afraid I won't actually get the garden started in time to plant. I am starting from scratch here, other then my water trough herb bed that the chickens wiped out I am looking at un-tilled ground that needs to be worked and fortified and a fence built to keep them out. Or, I could go with the building of raised beds of some kind but they will still need to be fenced in. I think I would like to do a combination of both but have none of needed materials purchased yet. I keep thinking that really I could just do it the old fashioned way and get out there with a shovel and rake and turn the soil up myself, it would be really good exercise and I would have the satisfaction of having done it, yeah yeah I could do that if I could just get motivated. I have seen so many great posts written by those of you who are already starting your seeds on warming mats and in window sills across the country and here I am living in Florida where I can start so much earlier and I have done nothing, hanging my head in shame here. Maybe I am making this public admission as a way of motivating myself to practice what I preach. I can't really hope to produce more of my own food if I don't actually plant some. So that being said Moose (my chocolate lab) and I are going to find the shovel. Even if I do 1-2 square feet three times a week I will have a decent plot ready by March-April when I want to start planting.