Thursday, January 7, 2010

A little bit here and there all adds up.


Homesteading is my first love and I am passionate about living a more self sufficient life but I still depend on modern conveniences for a great deal of my daily needs.Having said that, as part of my money makeover 2010, I decided to revisit the Grocerygame.com and commit to serious couponing as part of my overall efforts to save money on perishable items. Today I shopped CVS using the coupons as recommended and walked out of the store with $35.00 worth of toiletries and cleaning items for $9.00.
Not a bed start. I am very careful not to buy items that I don't need just because they are cheap. My goal is to cut back on the number of hours I need to work to make ends meet by becoming a great deal more conscientious of where the money I make actually goes. It's funny how I have come to realize the value in my grandmothers advice that all those pennies add up. I used to just think it was a waste of time to focus on a few cents here and there, too bad I waited until my forties to finally realize how right she was. I have gotten into the habit of routinely refilling water bottles with filtered water for 25 cents a gallon (our water is full of iron) saving at least 60 cents a gallon if not more.

6 comments:

  1. I wish I had the frugal wisdom of my grandmothers generation!Also her homesteading knowledge,it seems the old folks knew so many things that have been lost in modern society but would be really valuable to us new homesteaders!Stay warm and keep your thoughts on Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi...i just found your blog and signed on as a follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I commend you on doing your coupons. I go in very wide spurts of using them. I just buy what I need and hope it's on sale. Might check into your grocerygame.com. See what that is all about. You did really, really well!...debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can never seem to find coupons for things I would normally buy but when I do I try to use them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We dont have coupons here,so I dont know much about them!But sounds like a great idea if it saves you money :0)
    Every little bit saved certainly helps !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura, came across your blog and so glad I did. I, too, am also a RN trying to be frugal this year to quick working altogether. I work prn now for a self-insured hmo and hate it. Your homestead wishlist looks similar to mine.
    Add me as a follower,
    Berte in Texas

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy you stopped by, I love reading your thoughts and reactions. My new motto (stealing from my favorite Disney ride) when it comes to my blog friends is, "It's a small world afterall" Thanks for visiting!

To Blog or Not To Blog,,,

In January of last year I sat down and wrote a post from the RV I was living in at the time. I thought then that I really wanted to get bac...