Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Is it worth it?


While I was peeling and de-seeding (is that a word?)yet another batch of Tangerines to make my now famous spiced Tangerine Marmalade as requested by friends and family, I kept thinking boy this is a lot of work, is it worth it? I have to admit the stuff smells pretty darn good when its simmering but when I burned my fingers while filling my jelly jars and realized that I had spent two hours of my morning to yield 6 small jars I again had to again question my sanity.

The answer came to me later, after I had cleaned up the mess and the jars had cooled down. I fixed myself a couple of pieces of toast and spread them with the fresh warm marmalade, after the first bite felt that sense of satisfaction that only comes as the result of things made by your own two hands and decided that yes, it is definitely worth it.

The recipe is pretty simple:
12-14 tangerines peeled and seeds removed, pureed in a food processor, blender or in my case my Magic Bullet.
In a large dutch oven style pan add the pureed tangerines and 6 cups of sugar. I have made with 3 cups Splenda and 3 cups of sugar to reduce the sugar in the past but I did not think it made as thick of a jelly besides you really only use a small amount at a time as a spread.
To this mixture I add a dash of Cinnamon, a dash of Cloves and a dash of Nutmeg all to your preference.
Bring the entire mix to a boil, reduce heat slightly and continue at a slow boil for a bout 1/2 hour, till it forms a sheeting on a metal spoon. The recipe says 220 degrees but I could never get it to that temp. and it still turned out perfect.
Remove from heat and immediately spoon into jelly jars, screw lids in place and turn upside down to seal, it continues to thicken as it cools.
The first time I made a batch I got impatient and thought the stuff was more of a syrup then a marmalade but when it really cooled it was the perfect consistency for spreading.

9 comments:

  1. This sound so yummy! I will have to try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmmm sounds heavely sweet and tasty! I have never made jelly or canned anything in my life. But the jelly sounds like something I could do. Maybe I could get brave and try it...debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm! I can only imagine how sweet it must smell and taste. I'm sure your kitchen smells fresh and wonderful afterwards.

    Yes, defintely worth it!

    I am learnig how to process my own wool of my llamas, goats and sheep and posted a blog about the washing and carding work that I did, which took many hours. Someone commented that wouldn't it just be easier, and less expensive on my time, to just drive to the store and buy some yarn?

    Yes, but then I coulnd't get that satisfaction from making my own yarn from start to finish. Everyone has their own priorities, I think.

    What one person appreciates and enjoys isn't always someone else's cup of tea. hehe!

    Enjoy a dollop of your delicious marmalade for me, please.

    ~Lisa

    ps Thank you for your wonderful comment of encouragement and words of support you gave me over at my blog. They are much appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds worth it to me!

    thanks for stopping by my blog, laura!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to make marmalade. This past year I put up my first jellies and applesauce! Hope you don't mind me hanging out... I just found your blog and have enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i know where you are coming from. if you have time read my post on canning peaches. it should be on my sidebar. i think you will enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where do you get all the energy to do all this stuff? Must not have been passed through the genes to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything that takes time is worth it in the end :0)

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy you stopped by, I love reading your thoughts and reactions. My new motto (stealing from my favorite Disney ride) when it comes to my blog friends is, "It's a small world afterall" Thanks for visiting!

To Blog or Not To Blog,,,

In January of last year I sat down and wrote a post from the RV I was living in at the time. I thought then that I really wanted to get bac...