Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Keeping on Track

The last few day I have had the feeling that I am losing track of my goals, all those New Years Resolutions are becoming fuzzy thoughts in the back of my head. So today I have a day off and it is time to sit down and refocus on what is important, consider where I am going and how I am going to get there.
At the beginning of January I was focused on keeping track of where my money was going and accounting for every penny by keeping receipts and writing down what I spent. I used coupons for all of my grocery purchases and I stuck to my list. I did not make one impulse purchase of anything I did not absolutely need. I got through the entire month of January without even once going through a fast food drive through or buying a meal at work. I planned all of my meals carefully and followed through, I was really proud of myself. Then on Feb. 1st, after a particularly long and stressful day at work I decided to take home Arby's for my youngest son and I for a quick no cook dinner. In the back of my mind I thought you don't need to be extreme about this you can have a meal out once a month and still keep on track. No big deal right? Unfortunately, It has been all down hill from there.
So today, after a 10 day spiral of a drink here, a burger there, a magazine here, a new CD there, I resolve to get back on track. I have kept receipts for everything I just have not looked at them lol, denial is a beautiful thing but it does not get you where you want to go.








11 comments:

  1. The main thing here is that you are back on track. It's probably harder with more people in your household now. And even if you do go off once in a while, that's not so bad. Hang in there! I really like your photo. It's really neat...debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am right there with you. it is too easy to put things off and ignore them. i need to make a commitment and stick to it. i need to clean my basement!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least you are getting back on track and noticed what you are doing. We all do this sometime....no one is perfect :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You caught yourself quick! Be happy about that. It's hard isn't it? So easy to slip back in the old ways.

    Thanks so much for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, at least you're determined to 'get back on the horse'! Giddy-up!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed reading your 'Homestead Wishlist'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. At least you caught yourself quickly. It is hard to stay on a budget I do know that myself. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with the others, you caught yourself and said okay this isn't where I wanted to go...now your back on track! :O) ...

    I am trying to keep just our grocery reciepts.I want to see exactly what we are spending on groceries and I want to be able to see when I can start cutting those cost with things we have grown. I know we spend a lot on groceries as we buy so much ogranic. Plus I have food allergies which leaves me buying odd things that are more expensive like coconut flour, almond flour, etc.

    We managed to loose a couple reciepts in January, DH said well just do a average for the rest of the months you save and add that in for January. I will do that :O)...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like the FlyLady says, "Don't try to catch up, just jump in where you are! Okay?" Works for me everytime I get 'derailed.'

    ReplyDelete
  10. They say it takes 21 days to make a new habit..not sure about that because it is so easy to slip back into our old spending habits...Your wishlist has nothing extravagant on it for sure...only things that will improve the lifestyle you are creating..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Laura, you have been awarded The Friendly Award for having a friendly and warm and cozy blog! I enjoy your posts! check it out!...debbie

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy you stopped by, I love reading your thoughts and reactions. My new motto (stealing from my favorite Disney ride) when it comes to my blog friends is, "It's a small world afterall" Thanks for visiting!

To Blog or Not To Blog,,,

In January of last year I sat down and wrote a post from the RV I was living in at the time. I thought then that I really wanted to get bac...