Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Protecting My Investment

Moving from a two income family to a one income head of household has been challenging to say the least. When I sat back took stock and thought about where I wanted to go with my life, knowing that I was now really in the drivers seat I kept coming back to the things that have always pulled at my heartstrings. For as long as I can remember I known I wanted to live a life in balance with nature and one of the ways for me to do that is to grow and raise as much of my own food as possible. I wanted my own farm, hobby farm, way out west ranch, homestead, whatever you want to call it, I have had a vision in my head that won't go away.

In the past in my attempts to make it happen, I have jumped into way too many projects at once not thinking and planning things through as well as I should have resulting in losses, costly losses. I no longer have the luxury of making those kinds of mistakes. This time around I feel like I have a really good focus on what is important.

My steps towards my goals have been well planned and I have not taken on more than I could handle. The results are so gratifying. I have nine healthy hens who on average produce 6-7 eggs a day. I eat eggs almost every morning for breakfast and have a great sense of satisfaction that my girls are feeding me, we are dependant on each other. I have the beginning of a really good meat rabbit supply, with one pregnant female and two younger ones who can be bred in about five more weeks. My pair of Yorkshire pigs with hopefully produce a litter this spring or early summer and I will be on my way to a steady source of pork. I am paying very close attention to the health and well being of my animals making sure to learn as much as I can about the best practices as I go.

My point is that this time around I have been very careful to focus on how to get the best yield out of my investment and am constantly re-evaluating what my next step should be. Its really hard to blow 30 bucks on a new sweater when I think about how that might go towards the cool cheese press I have had my eye on, or the hand grain mill I have wanted for so long. My priorities have drastically changed. I feel like finally I am on the right track and as long as I maintain this kind of rational approach I feel confident that I will see my plans a success.

While I try to have a farmers attitude towards the animals I can't say that I am not attached to each and every one of them, I spend hours just watching the things they do and have established a trusting relationship with all of them. Killing an animal is not something I will ever take lightly, but I feel that if I am going to eat meat I can at least feel good about where it came from and the life that it led and know that it was killed quickly with the least amount of suffering possible.
I know that this home that I am living in now is not the final resting place of my dreams but while I am here I am learning all I can and preparing for the next phase in my life, one that will hopefully take me back out west to build the homestead that I will spend the rest of my life on.
I hope that by this time next year I will be posting that a much greater amount of my families food came right off of this little homestead. I see so many of my fellow bloggers accomplishing exactly what I have set out to do, I have to thank you for your continued blog posts that motivate me to continue on the path that my heart insists I travel. By the way Dad if you are reading this, your blog is my greatest inspiration of all.

12 comments:

  1. Laura, I hope in due time that your dream of moving out west will happen for you. Before you go where you want to go, be sure and check out the seasonal temp. and droughts and that sort of thing. I don't know where you want to be for good, but so many Western states are plagued with
    extreme weather - so raising animals and crops might be more difficult...just a thought since I lived out west for awhile and know it's not all nice and green out there. I think your doing really well your first year. I really do. For having so many changes in your life, I think you are doing exceptionally well!!! Am sorry you lose your bunnies last month. Keep up the good work!!...debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so admire you, Laura! You are the epitome of a wonderful, strong woman! I admire your ambition and going after it. :) I used to think how could people raise and kill their animals...but now I respect taht because they are raised "free" and in a wonderful environment to live their life out as opposed to those who aren't so fortunate. *sigh* I wish you all the luck in the world and a happy life for the rest of your life! xoxo

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly what you are talking about! I see other women talking about jewelry or the latest trendy thing they want or have already gotten.Not me,nope! I want farm stuff! I would love a spinning wheel or a bull calf or a big load of cinder blocks for raised beds..or even a load of compost.....or...well you understand!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate Laura! When I`m asked what I want for my birthday I usually reply "Ducklings or new Muck boots!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your so on your way, when a cheese press wins out over fancy clothes or such yep your so on your way :O)...

    I too would pick something of that nature over clothes or jewelry or fancy cars etc... tee hee I think most us farm girls would :O)...Dh got me a long feeder for the goats year before last for my birthday and I was just giddy over it!!

    Good for you on the planning. I too have jumped the gun on things and had loses because of it...I think we all do that sometimes. Sometimes we just get so excited and move before we have all our facts on things :O)...

    We are a long way from where we hope to reach. Lots left to do...we will all get there :O)...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know exactly where you are coming from. I was just looking at some cast iron pans I would love to have soon, while my sisters email me with their latest clothes deals from Macy's.

    You will be surprised at how fast the life you want can come together. It won't seem like it as you get there, but you will get there!
    Just wait until next year at this time. It will be amazing!
    Have a great weekend.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy reading about your progress towards your dream! Going to check out those other blogs you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep the dream alive..you are on your way. I must have missed it but would love to know the name of your dad's blog....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Only you can make your dreams come true and I would say you are well on your way. I love being at home. My uniform, an apron, Muck boots and yes I need my lipstick. My favorite place to shop the Farmer's Market, Tractor Supply and Blue Seal. Instead of heading West think about coming East, we would be great friends I am sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. G'day Laura,I have an award for you if you would like to drop by and pick it up ! I look forward to all your posts,and understand how hard it can be to do it alone,been there!
    Take care,Granny :0)

    ReplyDelete
  11. LAURA, THANK YOU FOR THE ENCOURAGING WORDS ON TEENAGERS, I'M GLAD IT SEEMS THEY ALL GO THROUGH IT AND IT'S NOT JUST "MINE", LOL! The military does worry me alot, but so does my son's driving habits and some of the things he has done here, so I will adjust, and I'm SURE they will mature him a bit:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a wonderful, thoughtfully written post. I know your plans and dreams will come to fruition in time. You are certainly on your way.

    I, too, have jumped into way too many projects at once not planning things through as well as I should have resulting in losses, costly losses. While it's difficult, I still consider it a part of life and that we never stop learning and even making mistakes. My kids tend to think that adults never make mistakes like kids do, and I am quik to tell them that we all do, our entire life.
    It's a journey that we learn and grow as we go.

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy you stopped by, I love reading your thoughts and reactions. My new motto (stealing from my favorite Disney ride) when it comes to my blog friends is, "It's a small world afterall" Thanks for visiting!

To Blog or Not To Blog,,,

In January of last year I sat down and wrote a post from the RV I was living in at the time. I thought then that I really wanted to get bac...