Saturday, February 13, 2010

Compost Making Saturday


Wish I had something new and exciting to post about besides manure, but after a wet cold week we finally had some sunshine here in Florida on Saturday, so it was a day to get out and take care of some long overdue muck raking, piles and piles of it. Between the rabbits, chickens and the goats there is plenty. I can't believe how much manure five little rabbits can make. My horse and pigs are out in a very large pasture so I don't have a problem with that manure accumulating and don't generally worry about raking it up.


All of the muck goes into the brewing compost pile. I have not really taken composting as seriously as many do, I figure it will get to where it needs one way or another over time. I had hoped the compost would be ready for the garden this spring but it has been an especially cold winter here and I have not turned the piles regularly so I don't have as much usable organic matter as I would have liked. I know I could till it directly into the garden soil anyway but I really am curious to see how it turns out if I leave it to fully decompose in piles. I want to learn more about vermiculture ( happy hungry little worms) as a way of more quickly decomposing the material but I have not gotten around to it yet.


We had another night in the 20s here again, this has been one of the coldest winters in Florida History. On a personal note, I went out to dinner with friends to a new Country Western Themed Steak House, the food was great, the band was good, came home and slept like a baby, amazing what good medicine a little hard work, fresh air, good friends and good food can be.

11 comments:

  1. If you have roses, you could seperate the chicken poop in it's own piles. Roses, for some reason thrive on chicken poop. My father in law started me a beautiful rose garden in the early 80's and would bring sacks of this manure to work into the rose bed, and I have to say that I had the healthiest roses around. And yes, getting out with friends will do wonders for you!! Happy Valentines Day!...debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have declared this the Year of the Compost! I too, have not taken it seriously before,but I really want to succeed at his self sufficiency thing.It is funny to say the key to success is poop! I have been shoveling,well, when it is dry enough for the wheel barrow not to get stuck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 20 degrees is reduiculously cold for Florida, that's crazy. I wished I had room in my yard for a compost pile, we have a tiny back yard.
    Sounds like a fun night out with friends last night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "amazing what good medicine a little hard work, fresh air, good friends and good food can be"

    Better than any sleeping pill! Sounds like you had a nice time.

    What kind of horse do you have?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a good time...you just have to do it every once in a while...Have a sweet Valentines Day !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Twistie, I have an older Quarter Horse Gelding named Red, I lost my Arabian right before Christmas to colic, I can't quiete get to the place where I am ready to replace her yet, it was so sad for me. Red is a great old horse that anyone can ride, everyone should have one of those. I will eventually get another more spirited horse to satisfy my riding needs.
    Thanks for all the nice Valentines Day wishes, hope you all had a sweet day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yessir, hard work is better than any sleeping pill! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by farmhouse..and that is so cute..blogworld is a small world...i've met the greatest new friends here...
    i'll be back soon
    kary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Valentine's Day, manure and all! Hope you have a wonderful day and had a wonderful weekend, Laura! Lots of love and hugs...

    xoxo

    Michelle :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vermiculture, I would like to know more about that as well! You learn and fill the rest of us in :O)...

    Ditto on the winter! Bring on Spring and Summer is my thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We put several load of compost from the barn on the garden spot in the fall. I haven't really got a "special compost" pile like a lot of folks.
    It has been one of the coldest winters here in middle Georgia, also.
    I am so ready for spring. High of around 40 today.
    Have a great day.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy you stopped by, I love reading your thoughts and reactions. My new motto (stealing from my favorite Disney ride) when it comes to my blog friends is, "It's a small world afterall" Thanks for visiting!

To Blog or Not To Blog,,,

In January of last year I sat down and wrote a post from the RV I was living in at the time. I thought then that I really wanted to get bac...