Saturday, February 27, 2010

Baby Bucks





Yesterday I came home from my week away from home anxious to see the new baby goats, they are a pair of buck babies who obviously carried the Boar goat gene forward from their grandfather who was a Boar Goat and their mother and father who are both half Boar goat. The Mother, Valentine is really just a pet, she is almost impossible to milk since she has some very small teats and she is very small so I am not sure her youngsters are meat goat quality, from a farming standpoint she is not really moving the efforts forward, but she has wormed her way into my eighteen year old sons heart so she will stay.



I am not sure yet what the future holds for these boys since I won't be keeping any Bucks, but for now we will enjoy having such cute babies around and most likely later they will be sold at the critter auction. I believe we have less than two more weeks before my Oberhasli Juniper has her kids, that is the event I am anxiously awaiting. I am trying to give her extra nutrition, and she has been well wormed because she is looking too thin. She seems very healthy otherwise, so hopefully it is just the drain of the kids on her that is causing her to look bony.

16 comments:

  1. The baby goats are just darling. One brown. one black headed. Tell me how you know the Boar Goat gene is forward? I know nothing of goats except they are so cute!...debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new boys are very cute! It looks like they're very playful. I hope all goes well with Juniper's kidding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie the reason I know the Boar Goat gene carried forward is the markings, these boys have the white body and colored head which
    is a characteristic of the Boar Goat.

    Thank you Brenda, I am so hoping for a healthy Doe from her to increase my milk production. I only want the milk them for my families needs but I could really use another good milk producer like Juniper has been.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh ,they are so cute! I am sorry she didn't hold them in until you got home! I think we all need at least one "pet " on our homestead.

    Our sheep always look bony after they kid but usually go back to normal in under a week.I know that is not a goat,but it is close!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These new buck babies are tremendous. Faces as sweet as pie. Flop happy ears and their sturdy little furry soft legs are precious. Mischievious is their middle name and seem born ready to game up. De--lightful creatures.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Laura, Thanks for stopping in and commenting. You are way ahead of me in the self-sufficiency department, but I am trying. We staked out the garden today and went to Lowe's to price lumber for the raised beds. It is still about 6 weeks before the last average frost, but it will be here before we know it.
    I have been able to curb the desire to spend by focusing on the projects I want to do and buying as much toward them at the thrift stores. What a goldmine they are!
    As for the new marital status, I hope you find it to be a wonderful growing experience as I did.
    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are adorable. Why is it baby anything's are so cute??? Enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute ! And a nice welcome home!
    How was the training? and when does the new job start?
    Wishing you all the best :0)
    Granny.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy Cow are they ADORABLE!!!! You must be SO excited! undeniably boer blood in those boys! Enjoy the kids, they grow SO fast!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cuteness x's two I tell you!! Kids are so cute!! Congrats... hope your next delivery goes well too!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh,they look like little puppies...don't get too attached ....hard to do, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Laura,
    The bucks are very cute. And big for twins!
    I understand about what to do with them. We just sold 5 bucks this weekend. I had gotten attached to them, as usual. We have 2 baby bucks that we are thinking about banding. But we won't be keeping them after they are weaned(I am told).
    Thanks for the visits and comments. I appreciated them so much.
    Have a great day.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  13. How cute! I couldn't raise farm animals because I'd never want to part with any of them and then of course, I would go broke!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So adorable! Congratulations on your new grandkids!!

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy you stopped by, I love reading your thoughts and reactions. My new motto (stealing from my favorite Disney ride) when it comes to my blog friends is, "It's a small world afterall" Thanks for visiting!

To Blog or Not To Blog,,,

In January of last year I sat down and wrote a post from the RV I was living in at the time. I thought then that I really wanted to get bac...