Thursday, February 4, 2010

My New Girls














This is Molly she is my latest addition to the homestead, she was bred at the breeders home the day I bought her to a Big Flemish Giant. She is a Checkered Giant/New Zealand Cross. If she was bred successfully she is due on Mar. 1st. Molly got out of her hutch when she was younger and broke her foot and it healed fine but looks funny. Because of that the breeder gave me a great deal on her, I think the leg adds character to her, she is sweet and friendly.

Both of those breeds are meat rabbits, and that is Mollie's purpose here on the homestead, to make lots of fat little babies, some of which end up in the family freezer. I can't actually do the killing myself, I know this from past experience (which shall never be spoken of again), but I have a good friend who has agreed to do the dirty work for me in exchange for some of the meat. A few days before she is due I will add her new nesting box and some shredded newspaper to her hutch for her to begin to nest in. I have been told that when she starts pulling hair out she will be close to delivering. This is my first serious attempt at raising rabbits, I am anxiously awaiting.

The other two that you see here together are younger does that I bought from the same breeder, his babies are all handled from a very young age and are exceptionally used to people. They love to be held and petted. I will be purchasing a buck for my trio when these two get old enough to be bred in about 8 more weeks. I can't decide if the buck should be a Flemish Giant, I like them because they throw babies of varied color from tan to oranges, or a White New Zealand, they tend to get really big and are great meat rabbits.
On a side note, Juniper, my Oberhasli dairy goat is acting odd today, according to all I know about the impending signs of birth she is getting very close to kidding. I think I have gone out to check on her 20 times today, I wish she would get on with it, but I bet she will wait until this weekend when I am at work till late just because she can.
I am beginning to feel a real sense of satisfaction as I look around and realize that little by little my homestead is beginning to really take shape. Life is good.

12 comments:

  1. Life IS good! Thanks for sharing the photos of the bunnies. They're cute. I'd have a hard time doing them in too. But, I can cook them! I hope all goes well with your goat's delivery. I'm looking forward to photos of the babies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your little farm/homestead is expanding in leaps and bounds. How exciting. Will be looking forward to hearing about your goat's delivery, hope all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You rabbits are wonderful! Congratulations! Baby goaties...so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love bunnies and I love fried rabbit. Like you, I could never in 100 years kill one. I don't blame you for having someone else do it. I can't wait to see your new little kid! They are so darling. Yes, your little homestead is growing! But just WAIT till summer and your wonderful garden! Good luck on Juniper's delivery!...debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful rabbits! I am the same way about that, it is hard when you raise them yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pa loves baked rabbit!they are really dear to buy at the butchers,and also not permitted to keep as pets in QLD,I think you can get a special licence to breed meat rabbits.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Laura- You are living the life I thought I would live as I became an adult, but I'm in the city so far. There's always time, I suppose! I can't say as I love rabbit stew, but I do know about dairy goats and birthing - they always wait until you are busy! Hope all goes well with that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the rabbits are sooooo cute!!! i could never eat one though. i know it is hypocritical to eat beef and chicken and not other animals but i guess it's just how i turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The bunnies are very cute. I used to operate a rabbit rescue and at one time had 8 bunnies in my house using litterboxes or outside in hutches. I've since found them all new homes and the older ones have passed on.
    I can't imagine eating them. I've had rabbit stew one time and it wasn't pleasant tasting at all.

    Good luck with your venture. And I hope your doe delivers soon, too. How exciting!


    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for coming by my place. I had someone else design my blog and so I can't tell you how to find the background, sorry. I think you can find it at digital scrapbook websites. Your bunnies are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I liked reading about your rabbits! When I was growing up, we had rabbits as pets and as meat. My mom would kill them, and I've watched--feel so sorry for them. But, we ate rabbit on occasion--tastes just like chicken--LOL! We had some Blue Dutch rabbits, and I had an all white one, that loved to be held in my arms like a baby. I also had a huge all black rabbit that weighed 10 pounds. I'd bring him into my bedroom and watch him hop around. I'd 'wash' him off with a washcloth and put powder on him. I also made him salads with carrots, lettuce, etc. I've thought of getting a rabbit as an alternative to a dog--it would be easier to take care of. Your rabbits are pretty--I'd hate to kill them also.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to do the "deed" to my chickens too. I've realized that I'm horrible with an ax and I'm sorry to admit that things have gotten messy before. The worst was when we whacked some roosters a few weeks after I got pregnant. Something about carrying life makes the thought of taking it away a little sickening. That and I was still in the first tri! (I have recently gotten a new hatchet so hopefully that'll improve my accuracy). I love my girls, but I LOVE chicken 'n' noodles even more!
    I remember eating rabbit as a kid, but only what my dad caught one winter when he was laid off from his job. Occasionally we have some, but rabbits are scarce on our farm - too many coyotes. Do domestic rabbits taste much different than wild ones? I'm sure the wild ones have a gamier taste to them, but I don't have anything to compare to.

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy you stopped by, I love reading your thoughts and reactions. My new motto (stealing from my favorite Disney ride) when it comes to my blog friends is, "It's a small world afterall" Thanks for visiting!

To Blog or Not To Blog,,,

In January of last year I sat down and wrote a post from the RV I was living in at the time. I thought then that I really wanted to get bac...