Monday, December 28, 2009

Year End Thoughts


As I begin a new year I want to reflect on what I have accomplished in the past year and where I hope to go in the coming year. This past year I finally began to take steps toward having the homestead I have always envisioned. I searched out and purchased two milk goats who are possibly pregnant, nine fat hens who are laying an abundance of eggs and a pair of piggies who I hope will breed this spring. My gardening efforts did not yield much but I got the bug to build raised beds and start again this spring. In the coming year I would like to be much more conscientious of my spending while looking at everything I already have with a fresh eye.
On a professional level I changed jobs, and while the new job may not be where I would like to stay forever, I am grateful none the less for it and the new things I have learned while there. Additionally, I had a major surgery and came through healthy and free from a long term health issue that had robbed me of energy for years.
I have been so very inspired by all of the hard working amazing people I have followed as they blog about their lives.I hope to reflect back this time next year with a sense of satisfaction that I have simplified, consumed less and produced more from my little plot of land here in Florida. I have thought a lot about why we blog, why I blog, and why I find it so cathartic. I know I do it for myself, an online journal in a way to remind me of where I have come from but why do it in a public format? I know connecting with like minded people is one of the reasons, wanting to feel like my life and my efforts mean something may be another. I would love your input on this topic, why do you blog?

7 comments:

  1. I like to blog because it gives you a reference to look back at how far you have come and what has been happening in your life. I also love the feedback as like minded people read it too.
    Have a Happy and Healthy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started blogging last Dec. 8th. I started it because I just thought it would be fun. I had no idea I would meet so many fine friends here and overseas. I love learning about their cultures, their countries, and for the friends here in the US it's so much fun hearing about their state, their wildlife, their kids. I feel like I have an extended family out there and care about them greatly. I have learned so much from each one and can't wait to see what the new year will bring us all!! Happy New Year to you Laura!...debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laura,I blog for all the reasons Debbie and Debbie have already mentioned,Lol.
    Ive have learnt so much from other blogs,love the new recipes I have tried,and a afew new decorating and gardening ideas.
    Its like having heaps of 'pen pals' but not having to wait for a letter to arrive weeks later!! Just a click of the mouse.
    I think it encourages me to try new things,give them a go at least.
    Happy New Year to you Laura,I hope 2010 is everything you wish it to be :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes to all the above reasons. I've been at this for just over a year and it's amazing how much you can begin to care for someone you've never met but through their blog. I love getting feedback and advice from others. Suggestions when I'm struggling, pats on the back when I've accomplished something and cyber-hugs when I'm struggling. It's so important to me because many people in my 'real life' don't understand what we're trying to do or why we do it and it's great to connect with a group of like-minded people who 'get it'.
    I hope your 2010 is full and sweet and satisfying. I'll be along for the ride.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Tidings. Three years ago I was a novice to the high tech world of computers and just peruised several blogs. As I acquired more free time I began to realize there were actually people who held the same interests as myself. It makes one feel good to know there are people in the world who love their chickens as much as you do or adore the primitive decorating style, or love to devote time to gardening, crafting, homesteading or are crazy about their little dog who can get into an awful lot of trouble. I have enjoyed reading your lovely blog and look forward to more. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  6. You guys are the best, great comments!! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I am enjoying this journey more then ever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why do I blog? I found it to be a culmination of my interests/talents: art, photography, writing, creativity, and socialization. I love the contact and connection with others with similar or different interests. We share hopes, dreams, tips, and expierences. I like reading about how you are trying to cut back on spending and how your efforts on making your 'homestead' dream come true--the aim of self-sufficency--although I believe that God holds us and our lives in His hands, we still have choices. I want to make them God honoring choices. I love the feedback from readers... BTW, I like your song 'I'm Alive'. Me and husband lived on his parent's farm for 7 years--lots of hard work. We moved into a small town---I like it, (have lived here about 8 years) but am now actually considering moving back to the country. For now, though, I know this is where God wants me to be. Have a great day, and congrats on your job change.

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy you stopped by, I love reading your thoughts and reactions. My new motto (stealing from my favorite Disney ride) when it comes to my blog friends is, "It's a small world afterall" Thanks for visiting!

To Blog or Not To Blog,,,

In January of last year I sat down and wrote a post from the RV I was living in at the time. I thought then that I really wanted to get bac...