Sunday, March 21, 2010

Learning to Ride and Welcome Spring


Yesterday I volunteered to work a concession stand at a horse show to raise money for the local chapter of FCCD an organization aimed at keeping at risk kids from committing crime and being delinquent from school. I am no longer a member since I don't work in the prison system any more but many of my friends are so I was recruited. I learned a big lesson, never wear cowboy boots to stand on your feet all day cooking food.
After a day of being around all those horses my friends 13 year old who does not ride wanted to learn, so we came home and saddled up old RED and spent the rest of the evening teaching her to ride, she loved it. Of course Logan my four year old grandson wanted to ride too so I told him to get his boots on, those are the boots he chose. RED is the best horse that you can put anyone on. After Logan then his little brother Cadyn 2 wanted to ride. As you can see by the diaper only wardrobe, it was finally a nice warm spring day
We spent the remaining hours doing barn chores, which included raking what seemed like 50 lbs of rabbit poop to add to the compost pile. How do such little creatures make so much poop? I just think of it as garden gold. We finally felt we could let Juniper and her baby who is so much stronger now out of the barn for some fresh air. While making my feed run, I picked up two silkie chicks at the feed store, I felt sorry for them they were being picked bloody by the the other chicks, so they have replaced the living room chicks who were moved outside to a bigger cage. I worried that the night temps might still be too cold but with a light and a cover over the cage they did fine with temps into the low 50s.
I fell into bed last night and slept that sleep of the dead, that kind of sleep that comes from the really good tired, you can only get from a long day of working hard but doing things you absolutely love. It was a life is good day.

10 comments:

  1. That looks like a couple of future cowboys:)I have 2 house rabbits (family members:) and they are litter trained and I have never added their litter to my compost for fear of the urine in there, do you know if urine would be OK to add or is it too strong???

    ReplyDelete
  2. What cute kiddos! That is the best kind of day...the good kind of tired! If I was a vegetarian, I would rise rabbits just for the amount of fertilizer they make!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried justin boots?? I have a pair that were given to me and they are the most comfortable shoes/boot/footwear I've ever worn and I now wear those all the time, and I have issues with my lower back. Glad you has a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whaaa hoOO! Ride em' cowboys!! How cute! Nothing like riding the range in snow boots! lol I see the Bar-B-Que cooking something yummy in the background!Anytime you get to work outside, it's a good day!!...debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carmen the urine in the compost will not hurt anything it just has to age properly. I don't put mine directly into the soil rather I have a large pile in progress that I occasionally turn with a pitchfork, the bottom of the pile begins to break down into the good stuff you can add to the garden. I wont use this stuff for a few more months. I think I would be most concerned about what the base of your litter is. I think the organic stuff would be great compost I dont know about those crystal types.

    Twistie I have not had Justin's the ones I wear now are Laredos and they are only good in short spurts. I was looking at the Ariat lace ups I have heard good things about those too. One of these days I will splurg on some new ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Florida Farm girl, that's what you are. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ah, that's too bad, cowboys are supposed to be able to wear thier boots all day right? lol! I had a pair of ariats that went back, they were AWFUL, but have heard others say good things about them, if fact that's why I bought them in the first place. But will sya I LOVE my Justin's!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It definitely sounds like that kind of perfect life-is-good day. I love those kind of days, where you work hard, and it feels so good to fall into bed that night. It makes me really, really, really appreciate that I have a nice comfy bed to sleep in, as I realize many in the world do not.

    Thanks for visiting my blog, and I'm happy to follow yours too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha, the diaper-only reminds me of my own 2 yr old. He'd ride nekkid if I'd let him! Our Sandy is a dead-broke horse too and the one time she did throw a little hissy with my son, she didn't jump enough to knock him off and he was bareback. She "babysits" the kids which is what I love about her and she'll prolly die on this place. (which prolly won't be long since she's at least 27!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the diaper and saddle combo! What great expierences for the kids.

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy you stopped by, I love reading your thoughts and reactions. My new motto (stealing from my favorite Disney ride) when it comes to my blog friends is, "It's a small world afterall" Thanks for visiting!

To Blog or Not To Blog,,,

In January of last year I sat down and wrote a post from the RV I was living in at the time. I thought then that I really wanted to get bac...