Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Making Soft Cheese


I have gotten in the habit of making at least one batch of easy soft goat cheese each week.
This easy method uses lemon juice to curdle the milk. If stored in an airtight container immediately the cheese retains a lot of whey making it soft and spreadable like cream cheese.
If left to hang in the cheese cloth longer you end up with a dryer batch that can be sliced or even crumbed like feta. I add spices to season the cheese according to my taste. I found the original directions at the website "Slugs on the Refrigerator". I would post the link but I can't seem to make copy and paste work inside the blog format. I hope to expand my cheese making adventures to Mozzarella and eventually hard cheeses too. http://www.slugsontherefrigerator.com/ . I figured it out, here is the link to that site.

3 comments:

  1. That looks good! Now I wish I would not have dried our dairy doe off. Not sure cheese is worth milking through the winter though. Some homesteader I am!

    (Oh to make a link in your blog look for the little button that looks like a chain link, highlight the word you want to make a link, click the button and paste the link in the little box that comes up.) Or maybe it is the link box that isn't working for you? I wouldn't know how to fix that, blogger can be a little temperamental sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yummy!! Looks pretty good to me. I just need a knife and some crackers please! I have no idea how to link. I've tried it a few times to no avail..oh! I see here Jennifer has directions! Good Luck! ...debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to make cheese after reading your description. Thanks!
    Barb

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy you stopped by, I love reading your thoughts and reactions. My new motto (stealing from my favorite Disney ride) when it comes to my blog friends is, "It's a small world afterall" Thanks for visiting!

To Blog or Not To Blog,,,

In January of last year I sat down and wrote a post from the RV I was living in at the time. I thought then that I really wanted to get bac...