Friday, November 6, 2009

The first week in ICU

Spending a lazy morning sleeping in and reflecting on the whirlwind that has been this week.
I am pleasantly satisfied with all of the new experiences that came my way at work this past week. I transduced an arterial line, pulled a sheath, learned about Central Venous Pressure, what do do with some really lethal but lifesaving medications, and probably a hundred other things I did not know before. It's not rocket science, but it is definitely more technically challenging stuff then I had previously been exposed to. I watched a family greive the loss of a beloved mother with grace and dignity and I prayed that I would have such a family by my side when my time comes. I am reminded that life is a precious gift not to be wasted.

Coming home nightly to my little chunk of land I feel the need to simplify even further, shed the unnecessary clutter in my life and get even more back to basics. I read a blog somewhere out there describing the simple satisfaction of grinding your own coffee beans and percolating them on top of the stove in a simple old fashioned coffee pot, somehow that appeals to me a great deal. The problem I see with trying to simplify is dependency on the consumer machine.
Even if I decide to get back to basics and grind my own beans and even go so far as to brew them over a campfire or a wood burning stove, I have to get those beans from somewhere right? The challenge is to find local sources for such items. I think that might be harder to do then I can even imagine.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Laura, just wanted to thank you for following "Happy Days". I read your profile and wanted to tell you that I was a nurse in ICU for about 5 years. I loved it. Before that I was in Neuro-Surg. But that was a long time ago...now I'm a Granny and have 2 wonderful grandgirls which you probably know. Thanks again for following...debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura! Welcome to the blog party. I, too, work full time in a hospital- as an Occupational Therapist. My children are still fairly young and we're all on the same adventure with you. Trying to find a balance between our old habits of consumerism and self sufficiency. I don't think we'll ever get it completely right- but it's fun trying! I wish you luck.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Laura,
    Thanks for stopping into our homestead blog,"The Never Done Farm".
    I'm blessed in the fact that I don't have to work outside our homestead, my Dh makes enough, living frugally, for me to stay at home. My MIL is an ICU RN in a rural hospital in ND, she enjoys the pace, before ICU she worked in a nursing home facility, but it got to depressing for her.
    If you have any questions, about anything, other than goats or sheep*wink*, which I no zip about, please feel free to contact me.

    I remember what it was like starting out with little to no experience in many of the homemaking/ homesteading skills.My Mom was NOT domestic in any form, so I spend years reading and asking questions.

    We too only have our youngest home, she's 18 yrs old and looking to spread her wings and fly, but selfishly I want to keep her here. I've already experienced what it is like without her for extended periods of time, let me tell you that I ran my backside off trying to get everything done, as one person, verses two. Whew and I thought I would get a breather when she was gone, wrong!
    Blessings and productivity for your weekend.
    Kelle

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy you stopped by, I love reading your thoughts and reactions. My new motto (stealing from my favorite Disney ride) when it comes to my blog friends is, "It's a small world afterall" Thanks for visiting!

To Blog or Not To Blog,,,

In January of last year I sat down and wrote a post from the RV I was living in at the time. I thought then that I really wanted to get bac...