Sunday, February 5, 2012

Pantry Organization Dried Goods.

I wish I could remember which preparedness blogger originally pointed me in the direction of these great inexpensive containers but they have really helped to get me started organizing a working pantry, one of my goals for 2012. 
 I ordered them from US Plastics
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/search.aspx?search=PB%20safety&page=1

here are the three items I have ordered so far and the prices which I found to be very reasonable in comparison to similar brand name containers sold in local stores.

Item No.
66425

Clear Container With Handle and Cap

160 oz Clear Container 7.5” x 5.13” x 10.5”.

Comments: Standard Ground (UPS, USPS) $2.21 each

72035

11187

32 oz. PVC Pinch Grip-It Jars w/ Lid

Comments: Standard Ground (UPS, USPS) $1.35 each

66579

PVC Clear Canister With Lid

20 Oz Canister With Lid, 3.3" x 3.3" x 4.85"

Comments: Standard Ground (UPS, USPS) $1.28 each

The containers are the same as the kind you might find in your Warehouse stores like Sam's club holding dried goods, sturdy and washable.

Later down the line I may venture into long term storage in five gallon buckets for the same kinds of  dried goods but this is a nice start for now. I still keep the flour, sugar and other baking goods in canisters on the counter since I those often but these would probably hold two five pound bags of flour or sugar.

I store things I know I will use and cook with regularly.

Canned goods are another area that I plan to slowly build up. My short term goal is to have enough on hand to feed my family and my animals without going to the store for 1 month and then build from there. This will include water which I find to be the biggest challenge.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Laura! thanks so much for stopping by my blog. Make sure you stock up enough cocoa powder to make those chocolate cupcakes! ; -) I have enjoyed reading about your journey - love all that you have going on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Those are great prices!! And you got the sizes you wanted! Lot to say for ordering online for sure! Am so glad your back. ...debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have food stored in five gallon buckets but we store the same food in plastic containers for convenience so we don't have to keep getting into the five gallons every time we cook. When I fill up one of these containers I put the date we start using it on the lid. That way, when it's finished and time to refill from the larger container, I have a good way to estimate how much of that product we may use in a year. Thanks for the link to the plastic company.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura, those are great containers. We have used those and also we have been saving the Costco Mixed nut containers. We go through a lot of mixed nuts and have been saving them for about two years now. Brobably have a couple dozen and the labels come off pretty easy.
    Offgridbob

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy you stopped by, I love reading your thoughts and reactions. My new motto (stealing from my favorite Disney ride) when it comes to my blog friends is, "It's a small world afterall" Thanks for visiting!

To Blog or Not To Blog,,,

In January of last year I sat down and wrote a post from the RV I was living in at the time. I thought then that I really wanted to get bac...