Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Canning Salsa

























Yesterday my daughter in-law Casi and I decided to can some home made salsa using the ball blue book recipe for zesty salsa which can be found at






The actual recipe that we used had been adapted to go with the canning starter kit that I bought at Lowes and used approximately half of the ingredients listed here. In the future we will make at least the full recipe or even double the recipe and fill 1 Quart jars, these small jars will be gone in no time, we called these little jars personal salsa jars since one person can easily polish one off all by themselves. Next time we will may try some variations like adding Black Beans and Corn. The flavor is amazing and it was a very successful first canning attempt for my daughter in-law. This time we used all store bought ingredient but I cant wait to do this with some of my fall tomatoes and peppers from the garden.















4 comments:

  1. I love opening jars of homecanned food on a blustery cold day! Thanks for stopping by my blog - my friend Jaimie has a blog - and it's listed on the very bottom of my blog list - called 'life and photos' - Mirjana doesn't have a blog...: -)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura...Thank You so much for following my blog. I was pleasantly surprised! :)

    I wanted to say that Salsa is a a big hit with my family...sadly I don't can anymore but if I had reason to start up this would be one.

    Your cache looks delish and what a wonderful addition to the pantry, eh? It will be doubly delish this winter.

    If you lived near me I'd gift you all of my canning jars and tools too!

    I'll check out your link...although I don't think anyone can improve on my Daughter's recipe. She won't even tell me what is in it, lol.

    I see on your sidebar you wish for a solar oven...I would love one of those. We all may need one of these eventually.

    Do stop by and feel free to comment any time?

    Blessings and Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had great success with your recipe! I know what you mean about the smaller containers, a person can polish them off in no time! I've been making salsa also--we have stacks of tomatoes and I'm using chopped green peppers I froze previously. I kinda improvise on my recipe--sort of a combination of two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found you through Dani. Nice to know another Florida homesteader although my plot is in the suburbs! I taught myself to can this year fulfilling a LIFE long dream! Thank God for you tube and the Ball jar canning book. Just made the salsa last week.

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy you stopped by, I love reading your thoughts and reactions. My new motto (stealing from my favorite Disney ride) when it comes to my blog friends is, "It's a small world afterall" Thanks for visiting!

To Blog or Not To Blog,,,

In January of last year I sat down and wrote a post from the RV I was living in at the time. I thought then that I really wanted to get bac...