Tuesday, March 15, 2011

What Are You Doing to Be Prepared?

I borrowed this image from google images, I wish I could say it was stuff I have on hand, while I have a few things I am not nearly as prepared as I hope to be. I live less than 30 miles from a major nuclear power plant, would having Iodine tablets on hand in case something happened at the power plant be smart? No one wants to act out of fear or panic but rather to be rational and logical and plan for things that really could happen and that you can protect yourself and your family from.

The events in Japan have certainly gotten me thinking about how prepared my family is for any unexpected disaster natural or man made. I have to admit that I don't believe there is much of anything that the people of Japan could have possibly done to prepare for what has happened there but what about the things that might happen that we can prepare for?




Emergency preparedness has been a goal of mine for years and years but one that I never quite feel I have even scratched the surface of. Sure I have plenty of canned and dry goods but if hard pressed to come up with fresh water my family could only manage for a day or two, and that is not counting fresh water for my animals. Some of the bloggers that I follow have truly made preparedness a priority and I am in awe of what they have accomplished.


I know that like anything in life it all depends on how much importance you place on the thought and how much of a priority it is made. So today I am considering where to start and what items need to be acquired first.

So my question to you is what are you doing or have you done to prepare for the unexpected?

3 comments:

  1. Great post! We need to prepare. Thank you for the reminder!

    So good to see you! You didn't come up in my google reader, I'll have to fix that.

    Wishing you the best of everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We live about 40 miles for a nuclear power plant. It was on the news a lot during the 9/11 attacks. We're not "prepared" really, everything we could need is on the farm. Quite frankly, if something would happen and that place would pack as much of a punch as they say it would - there'd be no chance anyway, I'd just be happy to meet my maker. ;}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, thank you so much for visiting me and leaving such a nice comment. You're an inspiration to anyone having to start over. I know what it feels like. I had to start over at 55 after a 23-year marriage. I moved to a new state, have to rent after owning a home for 23 years; but like you, I have learned to make lemonade from lemons. While I wish I had more time to do the things I love, I realize that I am much happier because I have peace in my life that I did not have before I had to start over. I always thought that at this point in my life, I'd be getting ready to retire, having a life's mate to share things with, and spending time with my grandchildren, gardening, and doing other things I love. I have to work a few more years than I wanted to, but I'm grateful that I have a good job. All good things take time. Hang in there, my friend; good things are in store for you.

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy you stopped by, I love reading your thoughts and reactions. My new motto (stealing from my favorite Disney ride) when it comes to my blog friends is, "It's a small world afterall" Thanks for visiting!

To Blog or Not To Blog,,,

In January of last year I sat down and wrote a post from the RV I was living in at the time. I thought then that I really wanted to get bac...