Friday, March 25, 2011



Today is my one day off, but since I worked the last three nights I was so tired and slept all day, so now I'm up at 4 in the afternoon and it's morning to me. Sadly I have but 4 precious hours of daylight left to make the most of. Such is the life of the night shift worker.

The weather here in Florida has been beautiful, Monday my kids and I went on a spur of the moment camping trip, we packed up and went to a local campground called Rainbow Springs, we had such a good time but could only stay one night, we are anxious to find time to make a few more treks out before the heat and humidity gets too bad.
The past few weeks here have warm but without the humidity that plagues us later in the year so we have been spending lots of time outside. My lovely daughter in law Casi has been bitten by the gardening bug, thank goodness someone else in my family sees the value in growing your own food.

Together we have begun to formulate a plan to begin building on the Urban Homestead idea here in our new home in the suburbs. So far we have planted two 4x6 raised beds with cucumbers,bush beans, bell peppers, yellow crookneck squash, zucchini and egg plant, our next project will be to fill a several half barrels salvaged from all my old farm with pepper and tomato plants.

I recently taught myself how to knit from a You tube video, it was much easier then I thought, however the price of yarn is outrageous so lately I have been thinking about Angora Rabbits for fiber which of course would mean I would have to learn to card and spin the fiber into yarn. Has anyone ever read the children's book "If you give a mouse a cookie"? I seem to keep going there.

6 comments:

  1. WOW Laura!! Look how big your tomatoes are!! Your garden looks so pretty!! Glad to read your DIL has taken a liken to gardening! Now you'll have some good help!! So nice to hear from you.
    I always enjoy your posts!! ...debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura

    The spur of the moment camping trip sounds like it was fun. I haven't done anything on the spur of the moment in a long time. Maybe I need to give it a try? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't beleive how far ahead of us you are, we still have snow! *sigh* Your beds look lovely.

    Glad to hear you say knitting wasn't as hard as you thought, I'm going to try to lern too*wink* My problem is patience, is NOT my virtue, LOL!!!

    I hear you on yarn, I'm giving consideration to learning to spin my own. We have several friends whom we can purchase wool from. I'm sure there is considerable expense in this too, especially in taking care of the wool and prepping for spinning, the spinning wheel and some lessons of course. I tend to bite off more than I can chew so for now this is still a dream.

    Thanks for the update, we enjoy your posts so much :o)

    Blessings,
    Kelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are keeping on with the things you love.

    Learning to knit from "youtube" video is neat. The price of yarn and many arts and crafts items is sky high. So we go to plan "B" and keep on keeping on. That is the way of life.

    Have a wonderful day. I enjoyed your post.

    Blessings for all good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything looks fantastic in the garden, Laura. Like most of the Midwest, we are still seeing snow. I'm afraid we might go from winter to summer with no break in between!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I almost forgot! Thank you for the interesting info on the caustic balsam. Our farm was a livestock farm in the early 1900's, so that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy you stopped by, I love reading your thoughts and reactions. My new motto (stealing from my favorite Disney ride) when it comes to my blog friends is, "It's a small world afterall" Thanks for visiting!

To Blog or Not To Blog,,,

In January of last year I sat down and wrote a post from the RV I was living in at the time. I thought then that I really wanted to get bac...