Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A Healthy Kitchen Window Project-Sprouts


Home today trying to nurse a very nasty cold, my second one in only a short time uggg. I wanted to share these lentil sprouts I grew in a Jar in the kitchen window. I was itching to grow something that I could eat and since I am not ready for outdoor planting yet this was a quick and easy project. There are a bunches of videos on YouTube of people and their sprout projects and there are all kinds of jars and sprouting kits out there that people want you to buy but a mason jar with an open lid and a piece of clean window screen ( sold by the foot at the hardware store for pennies), worked just fine. I think the sprouts took longer then they should (about 5 days) because the house is not super warm. Although at around 70 degrees it is not cold either. All of the videos I watched said you should have sprouts in 3-4 days so I am not sure why mine were slow, but they did sprout and they taste fresh. These will be added to my salads and sandwiches this week and I have another jar in the window in progress. I am pretty sure just plain lentils from the supermarket will work just fine, I ordered these last year from a preparedness website, they came vacuum sealed in a Mylar type package but I don't believe they are any different, if anyone know the answer to that question please let me know.


Feeling good about the direction I am heading, one small project at a time.


Hope everyone is staying warm and safe through the rough winter weather, even here in Florida we are getting down in the very low 20s at night. Happy Monday!


9 comments:

  1. It's been bitter cold and windy lately, and I am surprised to hear you are getting such chilly temps in Florida!

    Love that simple project-

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you are over you cold soon! Brrr...that sounds cold for Florida,sprouts are so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you are soon feeling better. We have been fortunate (so far! knock on wood) to escape the stomach bug that is making it's rounds out here. I hope our luck holds.
    I love your sprouts! I never thought of sprouting lentils. I can't imagine why the regular ones from the store wouldn't work but I wouldn't try sprouting any made for planting in the garden- you never know what they've got on them. But ones for eating- who knows- what would you be out for trying?
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear that you've got another cold. Hope it goes away quickly! Like your little sprouts grown in a jar. My FIL would start miniture roses like that. Hate that Florida is having such cold weather!! Many of our friends are leaving for Fla. the first of January. Won't be much fun if it's just as cold down there!! Hope it warms up soon....nice hearing from you!! ...debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes you can sprout beans peas from the grocery store. Whole Foods has a nice selection in the bulk bins you don't see at a lot of the regular grocery stores :O).. you can sprout grains as well that you buy at the grocery store :O). I recently had a sprouted quinoa salad. It was most yummy! I didn't make it I bought it.

    ok now I have to go get my sprouter out and put some seeds in it! thanks :O)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you feel better soon. Cold are so annoying! :)

    Wishing you and yours a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's pretty neat!! I've heard of people doing that before but never saw it until now!
    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have no direct experience, but my husband grows a variety of sprouts for the local farmers' market. To get your best lentil crop, start them away from the sunlight. Then to green them up, move them to the windowsill on the a few hours before you harvest. You don't have to put them in the sunlight, but they are prettier with the color. Nice project!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been checking int0 spouting seeds so this post has been helpful. I'm especially interested in the broccoli seeds. Now I'm more gung-ho to go ahead with sending for seeds and going ahead with "sprouting". Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy you stopped by, I love reading your thoughts and reactions. My new motto (stealing from my favorite Disney ride) when it comes to my blog friends is, "It's a small world afterall" Thanks for visiting!

To Blog or Not To Blog,,,

In January of last year I sat down and wrote a post from the RV I was living in at the time. I thought then that I really wanted to get bac...