Thursday, February 14, 2013

Transitions

Sunset from my property in New Mexico .     
    
Its me just sending a note out to the blogging universe to say that I am still here but have had so many things going on in my life that blogging became low on the list of priorities. It seems the longer you stay away the harder it is to jump back into it but I miss putting my thoughts into words. Hopefully I will have time soon to get back on track in more ways than one. Some of the things I need to do include revising my homestead wish list this time with the move to my New Mexico homestead in mind. I believe I can finally start the countdown to making that move, although it is still going to be a bit of  a wait Jan 2015 should be the beginning of my transition to my new home 2000 miles away where I will finally begin to build my permanent homestead/mini farm. 

With the move in mind some of the things I need to gather information and learn about include:
Composting Toilets
Solar Power
Bee Keeping
Gardening in the High Desert
Feeding and keeping livestock in the High Desert where pasture is minimal and weather and predators can be challenging.
Straw Bale Building ( Although I don't think my home will be straw bale I dream of building a little guest house using this method).
Miniature Cattle.
Heritage Breeds of livestock native to the Southwest.
Trail Riding in the Southwest.

I have a vision of the life I want and a plan for how to get there now I just need to remember to not get so focused on that dream that I forget to enjoy the here and now everyday moments that come along.


6 comments:

  1. Laura!!! How Wonderful to hear from you!! You always have been one busy gal! I hope your dreams of New Mexico will come true for you! Hope your nursing is still enjoyable to you and that all your animals are doing fine. How is your little colt doing. I suspect he's over a year my now. Send us a photo! I thought he was so pretty!! Happy Valentines Day to you and your family. Are your kids still living with you? Hope to hear from you soon once again!! ...debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so love to see someone's dream come true. You deserve this.

    Drop in to keep us up dated.

    Take care of you. Happy Valentine's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WoW , you are still around, good to hear from you again.That's an interesting move from california to florida to new mexico. Any cultural shock yet. God bless ya.
    Bob & Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. After having lived in Eastern New Mexico, might I suggest learning about sunken garden beds as opposed to raised beds. They're supposed to help protect the plants from the winds of the high desert and keep more moisture in the beds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Becca I have never heard of Sunken bed gardens I will look into it. I was thinking about using that wooden privacy fencing they sell in panels at Lowes to make a wind barrier around the garden beds. I figured I could keep adding to it as I expand my raised bed. You are right about the high winds I was out there once and saw it rip the roof off of the mobile home on the property next to mine. I have a lot to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I Googled "sunken bed garden" and came up with some good info. I can tell you, you're going to need a pick axe to get into that soil if there hasn't been any moisture around the time you go to build the beds. So start working on your upper body strength or plan to build the beds in stages. And you'll need plenty of organic matter to amend the native soil so that it doesn't just wet the top few inches. I've got about 4 years of experience to share. :D

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy you stopped by, I love reading your thoughts and reactions. My new motto (stealing from my favorite Disney ride) when it comes to my blog friends is, "It's a small world afterall" Thanks for visiting!

To Blog or Not To Blog,,,

In January of last year I sat down and wrote a post from the RV I was living in at the time. I thought then that I really wanted to get bac...