Sunday, July 3, 2011

Drying Homegrown Herbs




I had forgotten to post this the day that I did this project back in July. I still have a hard time with the arrangement of photos in my blog posts. But you get the idea here.


I have had this Excalibur Dehydrator for 20 years, I bought it at a yard sale for next to nothing but have only used it a handful of times over the years. Hopefully, that infrequency is about to change. Today I picked some very overgrown Basil from my little herb box off the back porch, rinsed it in a colander and spread it out over two trays to dry. The pics show the before and after, as you can see a large amount of fresh herbs condenses down to a much smaller amount when dried. Yes, herbs are cheap, you can buy them for less than a dollar at the store but there is a real sense of satisfaction in cooking a meal seasoned with home grown spices.












I have a surplus of Thyme and Oregano to do next.


I don't have a book to go with the dehydrator but I am sure an Internet search will give me some ideas on how I can preserve some of the other garden surplus. Anyone have any success with dehydrating fruit? If so I would love to hear from you.














2 comments:

  1. I know less than nothing about a dehydrator, but I like your homegrown herbs and the finished product.

    Good to see you here, if only for a moment.

    I hope all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you love these yard sale treasures!!!! Your find is fantastic! I was watching a show on the history channel and they used an abandoned van as a food dehydrator...makes sense! So if we have a major disaster we and are without electricity we can commandeer abandoned cars :)

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy you stopped by, I love reading your thoughts and reactions. My new motto (stealing from my favorite Disney ride) when it comes to my blog friends is, "It's a small world afterall" Thanks for visiting!

To Blog or Not To Blog,,,

In January of last year I sat down and wrote a post from the RV I was living in at the time. I thought then that I really wanted to get bac...