Tuesday, September 28, 2010

When Life Hands You Lemons...

I don't know why I have had such a hard time finding anything that I feel is worth writing about. There have been so many big changes in my life over the past two months and originally my intention in blogging was to chronicle my journey, I should be blogging about all of it. I think, that I have had a mental block about how to continue this blog when it has gone so far away from it's original intention.

My life has changed so dramatically, moving from the country with no nearby neighbors to living in a development with next door neighbors only yards away, from owning to renting and all that goes along with worrying about another persons property, to the loss of my precious livestock. Don't get me wrong I am not whining, I am grateful for all that I have and that my family and I are healthy and happy. However, I am grieving the loss of the dream for now.

I also have changed jobs again and have been settling into a new routine, at least this was definitely a change for the better. I found out I am not meant to be a home health nurse, I learned so much from the job and met so many great people but I am a hospital nurse this much I have learned. So I have taken a job at a hospital 9 miles from my new home in the ICU and am finding it a much better fit for me.

The challenge for me now is to figure out where to continue with my dream of some self sufficiency, maintaining the homesteading mentality in the middle of upheaval in my life.

There are tons of wonderful websites and blogs about urban homesteading and I have got to glean from them a path that is right for me. I need to just jump in somewhere and begin, whether it be planting a few seeds for a kitchen garden, making a batch of soap, candles, or learning a new skill of some kind. Wish me luck!!


In the spirit of re-focusing, think I will change the title of my blog to "Laura's Urban Homestead Adventures", what do you think?

10 comments:

  1. I think that is a fabulous idea. I have problems coming up with blog worthy posts too. Good luck with your new adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well! I think it's a great idea. Fits you right now. And, it won't be forever. Embrace what you have and start a little garden or what ever you can manage in your time frame. I worked in ICU for 6 years and just loved it. It's the only place I wanted to work. Your work is rewarded daily. You meet some fantastic patients and it makes you feel so good when you see them improve so much. As for the sad times, they fad fast and are replaced by miracles. I hope you enjoy working there as much as I did. ...debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good - definitely fitting. I'm also having writer's block. I haven't blogged since July! And so much has changed in my own life. Best of luck to you in your new adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's true - just when we think we're grown and settled, everything changes. There are so many sayings like "life is a journey" that used to sound so corny, but now have real meaning to me. I'm not where I eventually want to be, but I'm the "me" who is getting there. (I'm sure that sounds a little confusing.)

    Things will start settling in for you and you'll find your writing mojo again. Take the time for yourself that you need, and explore your new neighborhood. Definitely plant your garden!

    And Thank You for your dedicated work to all those who need a friendly, caring hand!

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice blog...

    please visit my blog and follow .. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just found your blog... I feel for you with the winds of change. Even tho we just moved into This Old House, there are winds of change here too...

    Your mare and foal are beautiful! I have a quarter horse, Opie, who I adore. For 20 years I've had my horses at home..it's weird not having Opie on the property now. Time will tell whether that happens or not.

    I'll be following along... go confidently in the direction of your dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes turning life lemons into lemonade is not that easy. But all things are possible with God. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you are keeping a positive attitude... sorry the Sauve coupon as not available the other day... I try and keep the deals updated as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  9. May God Bless the new path he is leading you.


    http://youcanfacetodaybecausehelives.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Darlin' you have had yourself a time. I like that you are still kickin'. Little by little, bit by bit. Everything has it's own time.

    You are doing a wonderful job. Be sure to cut yourself some slack. Be kind to yourself.

    There is no time limit to settle your blog theme.

    I'm back too! Living in a new apartment by my self. Moved all by myself and it wore me out.

    So thankful to have internet again, it is my one luxury. No cable, on dvd play for movies.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy you stopped by, I love reading your thoughts and reactions. My new motto (stealing from my favorite Disney ride) when it comes to my blog friends is, "It's a small world afterall" Thanks for visiting!

To Blog or Not To Blog,,,

In January of last year I sat down and wrote a post from the RV I was living in at the time. I thought then that I really wanted to get bac...