Sunday, April 18, 2010

Spring Update

















I started this blog when I was bed-ridden after surgery last fall and it seemed then and through the winter that there was plenty of time to keep up with it, in fact it became a kind of therapy for me, a confessional, diary, thought sorter, creative outlet and link to life on other planets.

It seems lately that since the day the "Endless Winter" finally ended there has been no time for blogging. Beautiful weather and more projects then I can ever tackle have had me either outside working, planting, clearing, raking or working at one of my two jobs. I have been working a lot, I do the regular Mon-Fri gig with the home health agency which is a pretty great job and then on weekends I do one or two nights at the hospital 7 p-7a. This week for example I worked all week, got home at 4:30 p.m. on Friday afternoon and left to work all night at the hospital at 6:00 p.m. I am in no way complaining, I am so very grateful to have the ability to work and make good money for what I do. and I do it so that I can have the resources to do the things that I really love like building raised beds and chicken coops and day old chicks from the hatchery. Someday though, in the not too far off future I hope to be able to sit back and enjoy it all a little bit more, but in the meantime its all a very fine juggling act.

Spring has arrived to my homestead in a big way, with baby goats, geese, bunnies and a batch of 10 pink little piggies. My animals have been prolific to say the least. The garden is well underway with healthy potato plants, green beans, black eyed peas, onions, tomatoes, bell peppers, pumpkins, cucumbers and collard greens all showing great promise. I feel very proud of the progress I have made. I often look around and think you wanted a little farm, well you got it.
I met a woman at the feed store a couple of weeks ago who was looking for fertilized duck eggs,to hatch in her incubator, I overheard her and offered to let her have the batch of 10 that my Peking duck had recently laid. Somewhere in the course of our conversation I must have mentioned that my horse had died at Christmas time and that I hoped to one day replace her. The woman called me a few days later and said that she had been thinking about it and wanted to offer me her two horses, for free!! I went to see them , one is a really nice Registered Paint mare and the other a Welsh cross pony around 14 hands high. I am thrilled to say that they will be coming to live with me soon, as in later today after I go home and take a power nap. I will post more on them when I get them home and settled. I am a believer in Karma of sorts- you reap what you sow-I am so glad I gave her some Duck eggs.

In another twist of fate I had a patient the past two nights who has some really great words of wisdom for me on marriage, family and life. I won't go into detail because her words hit me where I live, but I have to say I am again amazed at the way people cross our paths as if they were meant to influence us or change our course in some way. Hope you all are having a wonderful spring.

12 comments:

  1. Awww piglets! I just love little pigs, they are so darn cute!

    Yup, spring on the farm is a busy, busy time with all the births but it`s also the time when we who are lucky enough to live with farm animals are truly reminded of the wonderful life we live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great stroke of luck, crossing paths with that woman at the feed store. Sometimes, I think, things are just meant to be.
    Gat some sleep- I can't imagine working that many hours at my paid job. How do you find time for everything else?
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is definitely busy during spring time,but what a wonderful way to be busy! Glad to see all is well on your farm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you posted. I was wondering about you and hoping all as ok. Darling little pink piggies! So cute! wait till they start rooting and running around! wow! 10 little piggies. Name them after your toes. lol I love paint horses. they are my favorite. I had 2. Bay mare and a palomino paint the color of caramel. Can't wait to see them. I hope you aren't working too hard, but am glad you like what your doing. Not much fun when you don't enjoy it. Keep up the good farming!! Sounds like every thing is doing great...debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to hear from you again Laura :0)I thought you must have been busy!
    Loved the photo's..the piglets are gorgeous,and the vegie garden is looking good.You are doing a great job there..and working full time! That cant be easy.Im glad you had a few moments to share your progress.
    Granny :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura,

    It was so good to hear from you. Indeed, your farm animals have been prolific! This little piggy went to market, this little piggy stayed home, this little piggy went wee-wee-wee all the way home! :) Adorable piglets.

    The garden looks wonderful.

    Delighted with the good things that are happening. I do believe you reap what you sow. I do believe in karma.

    Two horses. Splendid. Helping others is fun.

    Be sure to take care of you. Among all the work, farming, and care of the ranch, and family....you need care too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think a lot of us bloggers on farms slow down with the post on our blogs this time of year...only so many hours in a day!! and this is a very busy time of year and your working TWO Jobs girly!!!

    Your piglets are so darn cute I can hardly stand it!!! I would LOVE to raise pigs...ya I know I am a vegetarian but still I would love to have pigs...tee hee.. the honeyman could eat some of them and maybe we could sell some... they are just so darn cute!!!! and I remember chasing them when I was a kid because they got out ALLL the time tee hee...

    Me I am a BIG believer in Karma, oh ya... and I do think people that cross our paths are usually there for a reason :O)...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd say it was a 'God thing' with you being blessed with not just 2 horses but also a very wise person that God placed in your path. I enjoy hearing about how your 'little farm' is coming along, the garden sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG, the piggies are adorable! I've never seen baby pigs before, and they're sooo pink and absolutely cute! I'm glad you're doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So much to comment on in this post. First, I am waiting on those words of wisdom you reference--please share. I need them!

    Second, I am amazed at your energy. My "homestead" is going sorely neglected right now in favor of humping it for a living.

    Last, I am so pleased about the horses. When my husband took a powder I had six. I have given them all away--could not bear to sell them to just anyone, I had to handpick their homes. They landed in good ones, I am thankful to say. I so understand why this woman would entrust hers to you. C

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Laura! So much going on in your life...I don't know how you do it! I consider it a full day if & when I have to stop and put gas in the car...what a whiner I am!! LOL But seriously, you are running circles around me and most of who I know, and I love to hear that life has been kind to you in the form of animals and nice patients who actually share their wisdom with you. (waiting to hear what this patient had to say...I'm always in need of inspiration and motiviation!) Great pictures, great post!! Take care! Lori

    ReplyDelete
  12. The piglets are just adorable! Lots of stuff going on with you, I see. Looks like the hens are bowing to the rooster...what a hoot! LOL

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy you stopped by, I love reading your thoughts and reactions. My new motto (stealing from my favorite Disney ride) when it comes to my blog friends is, "It's a small world afterall" Thanks for visiting!

To Blog or Not To Blog,,,

In January of last year I sat down and wrote a post from the RV I was living in at the time. I thought then that I really wanted to get bac...