Wednesday, March 14, 2012

A funny thing happened on my way to work last week


Last Monday I was leaving my rural neighborhood and as I rounded a corner there in the middle of the road was this tiny little creature. At first I could hardly tell what it was but as I got closer I realized it was a very very tiny little piglet. I stopped and got out and picked the poor thing up. It still had a cord attached to it and it was weak and cold. I looked all around trying to find some sign of the mother pig or a nearby home that it could have come from, but there was nothing and the one home in the rural area had a padlocked gate and some angry barking dogs jumping at the fence so I was not about to try to go in there. I was already running late for work so I drove the baby back home and asked my wonderfully understanding daughter in law to run to Walmart to buy milk replacer and baby bottles to feed it. It has been one week of round the clock feedings ( just like any new baby), but I am happy to report that Hamilton ( the grandsons named him) is thriving. We are pretty certain he is a pot belly pig and from what we have learned they make wonderful pets so he is now a member of the family. Last night I bought him a litter box and have begun putting him in there after he eats, he is making progress. I need to get him on the scale but I would guess he weighs about a pound maybe a little less. Funny what comes along when you least expect it.

14 comments:

  1. How adorable!!! Seems like the Universe was conspiring for you to become his new mother. :)

    Blessings and Miracles come in all shapes and sizes don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is certainly one lucky little piggy to have been found by you! Great name, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you found that lil piggy and nurtured it. He is so cute! I would have picked it up as well. I just cant leave a poor lil baby critter out and alone. God Bless You for your good deed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah... serendipity. I think this sums up that word. How perfect that you and the piglet came together at just the right time. And I love the name.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Hamilton, kisses to your sweet little self. Keep us posted, how fun, how exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow he is really cute and so tiny. I wonder where on earth the Momma ended up.
    That is amazing you found one just one the road. Pigs are smart and I bet you will have so much fun,

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL, how cute!! so little, but I bet he grows fast. My friend had a pot belly pig, Petunia, who could sit, down, heel, fetch the paper, play ball and shake - she was adorable and lived inside - potty trained and all!! How nice Hamilton came into your lives!...debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the name Hamilton, how did they come up with that. ? That's a pretty small pig, he's going to be so bonded to you it will be like another child. Have fun with him and take care of yourself too.
    offgridbob

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, I ran across your blog by accident. I have been looking to add hogs to my little homestead to help with the milk flow in face of the persecution of raw milk producers nationwide seems the only way to sell milk now is through animals raised on it. I wish I could find some gift piggies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great story, you hear more about the bad things and not enough of the good. Congrats

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hamilton is getting big happy and fat. He thinks he is a dog

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hamilton is getting big happy and fat. He thinks he is a dog

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy you stopped by, I love reading your thoughts and reactions. My new motto (stealing from my favorite Disney ride) when it comes to my blog friends is, "It's a small world afterall" Thanks for visiting!

To Blog or Not To Blog,,,

In January of last year I sat down and wrote a post from the RV I was living in at the time. I thought then that I really wanted to get bac...